Monday, February 2, 2015

Review: Make it Count by Megan Erickson


Title: Make it Count (Bowler University, #1) 

Author: Megan Erickson 

Rating: 1.5 Stars

Make it Count began with an incredible amount of potential. After all, what's not to love about a sexy nerd? Ever since I realized I was a not-so-sexy nerd, all I've wanted in life are sexy nerds. Yet, for many readers, Make it Count is going to be a novel to avoid merely because its set-up deals with cheating--which I know is a no-can-do subject for many of my friends. Kat and Alec, the protagonists of our tale, have exactly one thing in common: Max. Kat is dating him, Alec has known him since elementary school, and though both Kat and Alec are incredibly good-looking people themselves, their similarities start and end with Max. Until, that is, Alec is assigned to be Kat's new statistics teacher. While I assure readers that there is no form of physical cheating in this novel, there is emotional cheating. I don't avoid cheating books merely because I've read a few instances where an author has been able to build a believable story around this issue but Make it Count isn't one of those novels.

Max, Alec's best friend, is portrayed as one of the worst boyfriends on the planet. Not only does he repeatedly ignore Kat and nag her, but he cares little for her interests and their relationship is very much short-term hook-up material. What I really didn't like with Make it Count is the fact that Max is essentially the villain here despite the fact that he and Alec are best friends. From the beginning of the novel, Max is acting "differently" than usual and when we find out his secret, later in the story, it only serves to thrust Kat and Alec's romance in a more positive light. If you're going to write a cheating novel, don't take the easy way out.

What's more, the Standard Romance Plot of a romantic couple falling in love, getting together, and having a misunderstanding occurs within the first half of this story. While I thought the last half would be dedicated to a meaningful look into New Adult, instead it is simply a prolongment of the misunderstanding between Kat and Alec...for half the novel. If you're a fan of excessive drama--think Colleen Hoover, friends--then Make it Count is going to be exactly up your alley. As a reader who has little to no tolerance for drawn-out fight scenes in which the heroine waits around for her boyfriend to figure out what he did wrong, this was a chore. Especially since I didn't think that Kat was entirely blameless in the situation, so the fact that she waits for Alec to read her mind and apologize felt extremely passive to me. Throughout the novel Kat has been a go-getter; making the effort to improve her grades, taking over in the bedroom, etc. I wanted her to take some initiative in her relationship with Alec and their entire dynamic ultimately didn't feel as equal and grounded as I expected it would be from the beginning of the novel.

Dramatic, filmy, excessively annoying...all of these are adjectives I'd use to describe my experience with Make it Count. What upsets me the most about this novel, though, is that is had so much potential. Alec and Kat are genuinely nice people dealing with issues that go far beyond the cheating scandal they find themselves in. Moreover, they are extremely self-aware of their involvement with one another as it pertains to Max so, if done right, this is a story I could have really gotten behind. Kat also brings in a much-needed dose of diversity to the genre. You wouldn't know from the cover, but the girl is Brazilian, born and brought up in a bi-lingual household with immigrant parents who did what they thought was best for her despite the fact that, often times, it was far from that. I understood and sympathized with Kat's struggles and I wish that her story line wasn't marred by her lack of her personal agency towards the end of the novel. I applaud her for taking the necessary steps in her educational career, but in terms of her relationship with Alec...well, it was just too much for me to handle. Make it Count isn't on its way to becoming the next best New Adult novel. It had its strong suits and doesn't lack in potential, but this just gave me more of a headache than I wished.

14 comments:

  1. I will be so avoiding ths book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I will definitely be passing this one up. Too much angst and drama for me right now.

    Wonderful honest review though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that you didn't end up enjoying this one either Keertana. I have read promising reviews for the rest of the books in this series, so could understand why you would consider giving this book a go, it also sounds like it would be a really fun light-hearted read too. But like you I don't condone books which feature cheating of any sort. So thank you for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I hate when a book and characters have so much promise, only to completely disappoint by the end. So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw too bad it didn't rock. It does sound like it did have potential. I think the over dramatization is why I tend to stay away from most contemps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was reallly looking forward to reading this book when it first came out but if you think the drama in this book is along the lines of Colleen Hoover, I am out. That kind of drama frustrates me more than anything else and makes a book so much more harder to enjoy.

    I also hate that the author took the easy way out of the situation. I am not a big fan of cheating situations (and feel quite strongly about that) but I do feel that the author can write such situations in a way that works and it's a pity to hear that that was not the case in this book!

    I am sorry this didn't work out for you, Keertana :(

    Lovely review though!

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you! I, too, was annoyed by the drawn out fight in the second half - it definitely stalls the story and kept giving me emotional whiplash with the amount of back and forth. While I've enjoyed this series, the biggest problem for me has been lack of connection - to the writing, the characters, to the romance... pretty much everything. It's one of those books I like but I'm not wowed by either. There's just something missing. :/
    There's less drama in the second book, but you know how their inevitable separation will occur almost right away... thankfully it doesn't last long.

    Thanks for sharing your review! I hope your next read is better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the opportunity to review this but I passed because I had a bad feeling. Cheating is a tricky to pull off, but I've read books where it was pulled off well. I've also read disasters, such as Maybe Someday by the aforementioned Coleen Hoover. I'm extremely hesitant to pick up any of her books after that one. I detest unnecessary, drawn out drama. Wonderful review, Keertana. I'm happy to know I made the right decision here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, I'm sorry it was like that for you, that it wasn't good enough, the idea sounded nice but now I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheating. *sigh* While emotional cheating isn't (in fiction) quite as bothersome for me, it's all in how it's handled by the characters and it seems like in this case the entire situation was a big letdown for you Keertana. I try to avoid excessive drama at all costs, so I'm going to pass on this one for sure. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear what a miss! This one doesn't seem appealing AT ALL and I definitely wouldn't like these characters or romance one bit. I hope your next read is better, Keertana.

    Lovely review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  12. for a second after seeing your rating I was like..huh why would this book be that bad? Saw cheating, enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boo! I was sold on the sexy-nerd. LOVE those types, but the rest of your description of this story is a giant NOPE. The emotional cheating would bother me, as would the SRP and the major misunderstanding and passive heroine behavior. Glad I skipped this one, sorry you had to read it though :(. I haven't heard amazing things about any of the books in this series so I think I'm giving up on them.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.