Friday, February 20, 2015

Audiobook Mini-Review: Yes Please by Amy Poehler


Title: Yes Please

Author: Amy Poehler

Narrated By: Amy Poehler

Rating: 4 Stars
In Amy Poehler’s highly anticipated first book, Yes Please, she offers up a big juicy stew of personal stories, funny bits on sex and love and friendship and parenthood and real life advice (some useful, some not so much), like when to be funny and when to be serious. Powered by Amy’s charming and hilarious, biting yet wise voice, Yes Please is a book is full of words to live by.
Having binge-watched all six seasons of "Parks & Rec" in the past two weeks, I couldn't resist the audiobook of Yes Please. While many readers have assured me that I'm missing out by not having a physical copy of this novel to peruse, filled as it is with pictures and other creative images, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a listen of this novel. Poehler's voice is animated and intimate, impossible to stop hearing, and the guest speakers and sound effects she adds makes this a truly unique listening experience. While I didn't enjoy every single one of the memories shared, the ones I did fall in love with affected me deeply and profoundly. There's something reassuring about a celebrity memoir in that the aspects of life they share in common with you only serve to humanize them and make your own life experiences seem that much better since, if Amy Poehler had similar thoughts, surely I must be a pretty exceptional person myself? Regardless, I loved this book for its raw, open advice, it's silly lists which made me laugh out loud, and the superb narration which made it feel as if I was listening to a movie or a play, not a book. For fans of audiobooks, memoirs, or just Amy Poehler, this is a must-read.

12 comments:

  1. I'm dying to read this one! I can imagine this audiobook being a great listen; I might just read the physical copy AND listen to it on audiobook! So glad you enjoyed the humorous tone and lists. Isn't it awesome when you can relate to a celebrity? Fab review, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I know who she is, I'll investigate. But it's nice to see that you had a nice with the book. Maybe not for me but glad it was for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love Amy and I really hope to read this soon. I'm glad the audiobook was so worthwhile too though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that this is a good autobiography. Hm... I may have to see if my library has it. I would want to do it in audio as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book around quite a lot lately, I don't know why I've not considered adding it to the to read pile before your review though, I think its just because you have a way with words Keertana, that you're able to convince me to give anything a try. Also this book does sound really hilarious, (something I need right now as I'm reading Hand's newest read). Lovely review as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been a fan of Amy since Saturday Night Live. Her weekend updates were so hilarious. I haven't got to Parks & Recreation yet, but I want to. I would definitely listen to this, especially since you enjoyed it and since Amy narrates. I'll have to check my library to see if they carry it. Wonderful review, Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm typically not a big memoir person Keertana, but I think I would thoroughly enjoy this one. I adore Amy Poehler, and I can't wait to see what advice she has and what she puts on these silly lists you mention:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started watching Parks & Rec with my boyfriend a few weeks ago. Not binge-watching though - we're only on season 2, but it's much better than I expected it to be! I want to wait until I'm caught up with the show, I think, but then I totally plan on giving this a listen (I think I'd prefer this in audio form as well - I love it when authors can narrate their own works!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really do need to read this. I think I'll order a physical copy so I can see the pictures you were talking about. She's smart and funny -- yay for Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched the pilot of Parks & Recs a while ago but didn't fall in love with it and ended up never watching it again .-.

    Given everything I've heard though, and after being reassured that it gets a LOT better, I feel like I need to get on that!

    Also, seriously, you got SKILLSS, Keertana. 6 seasons in two weeks? YOU GO GIRL. *high fives*

    I am glad you enjoyed listening to this book even if you didn't love everything about it! I think it's super cool that Amy voiced the book herself which probably made the audio a lot funner to listen to.

    Lovely review, hon! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really glad you liked this one! I'm a bit curious bc I've heard generally good things about it. It sounds like Amy does a great job on audio!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.