Monday, June 3, 2013

ARC Review: The Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke


Title: The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)

Author: Cassandra Rose Clarke

Rating: 2.5 Stars

Release Date: June 4th, 2013

It seems to be a trend this year that every series finale disappoints me, in one way or another. As such, it was probably foolish of me to expect any better from The Pirate's Wish, but I did. I had high expectations for this novel - very high expectations - and while I certainly enjoyed the quick read it provided, it isn't the memorable novel that its predecessor was. And, frankly, I think this conclusion could have been better - a lot better - but I suspect that those thoughts belong solely with me. If The Pirate's Wish hadn't resorted to using some of the classic trends I dislike, perhaps this novel would have worked out better for me. Perhaps. 

The Pirate's Wish starts off directly where The Assassin's Curse ends with Ananna and Naji stranded on an island, waiting for their pirate friend, Marjani, to pick them up so they can somehow break the curse Naji is under. Within the first three chapters of this book itself, a few important events occur that more-or-less chart the course for this novel and, consequently, my enjoyment of it. First and foremost, Ananna finds and befriends a manticore, striking a deal to deliver her back to her homeland if she refuses to eat Ananna or Naji. While the friendship between this protagonist and mythical beast cannot rival those in other novels such as Stormdancer, it is a cute addition to the tale that I found myself greatly enjoying. It is then, though, that the manticore convinces Ananna to kiss Naji in his sleep, thereby fulfilling one of the three tasks they must complete. And Ananna does. And, at that point, all hell breaks loose. 

What The Pirate's Wish has in plentifold is creativity, action, and drama. Clarke continues to amaze me when it comes to the sheer span of imagination she has. Like its predecessor, this installment continues to impress in terms of world-building, magic, and new faces and realms both. Additionally, with a crew of pirates, action is never far behind and, once again, I greatly enjoyed this feature. Yet, side-by-side with these is a rather heavy dose of drama. Ananna, from the beginning of this novel itself, is cast as a heroine facing unrequited love and, as such, her mood swings and feelings for Naji are constantly changing - enough to give me a headache. Although Ananna is still the headstrong heroine we fell in love with in The Assassin's Curse, she has a new, mopier side to her too that we now get to see. Yay. -.-

Quite honestly, Ananna is the sole reason I was so disappointed with this novel. Although I sympathize with Ananna's situation, I wish that her character could have grown from this event, not remained static. Ananna could have developed to be the type of protagonist who doesn't allow a small set-back to overturn her life, but unfortunately, that isn't the case. Ananna makes a big deal out of Naji not loving her back, constantly putting herself down and jumping to the conclusion that no man can ever love her. Furthermore, she resorts to childish behavior, ignoring Naji and taking every opportunity she has to flirt with other men in an effort to make him jealous. Not only is this a typical trend in literature, it's one I've grown exasperated with. All the more, I wish the purpose of The Pirate's Wish was to convey to readers that girls can be headstrong and find meaning in life from themselves or others around them, not men. While Ananna does have some very interesting conversations with Marjani (fine, one to be exact), none of this courage is exhibited through her actions and she relies on Naji to feel good about herself, all throughout the novel. Folks, I cannot tell you how much it physically pains me to see a bright, strong, and ambitious girl reliant on a man to feel happy. Physical. Pain. 

Yet, Clarke continues to use very standard tropes when it comes to the romance in this novel. As a fantasy author, she relies on magic to mysteriously throw her characters together instead of conversation or character development. While there continues to be plenty of tension between Ananna and Naji, when you strip away the magic, all that's left are two vulnerable, shy people who lack the faith in themselves to approach one another. In fact, if this was a contemporary novel, Ananna and Naji wouldn't even have found love together. Without the element of magic in their lives to bind them and tell them what they can't tell each other, their story would fail to move forward. Granted, this is a fantasy series and as an author, Clarke has the full capability to do what she wants with her stories, but what this does for me as a reader is cheapen the actual relationship as it fails to build upon a foundation of friendship or conversation. If you'd ask me how invested I was in this relationship after The Assassin's Curse, my praise would likely know no stopping point but that excitement gradually declined over the course of this story. Without much conversation, this love story fell flat for me. 

In fact, the best part about it was within the last chapter, but by then I'm afraid this book was too far gone to salvage my disappointed heart. Nevertheless, The Pirate's Curse is an action-packed follow-up novel that I am confident many readers will love. Unfortunately, I'm simply not one of them. 

13 comments:

  1. This reminds me of Requeim by Lauren Oliver (which I still need to read), which nearly everyone said was a disappointment. I don't intend to read this series, and I'm sorry the final book was such a letdown. I hate it when a book fails to live up to its potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so disappointing that you weren't able to enjoy this as much as The Assassin's Curse Keertana. I started this yesterday and can already pick out some of the issues you had. I'm not really liking the change in Ananna's character, but I'm hoping that she will grow on me as the book progresses. Wonderful honest review Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what intrigues me about this one, Keertana? The "magically throwing characters together" aspect was SO prevalent in MAGISTERIUM, too. I love magic in fantasy stories, but I don't love it when an author simply relies on magic to explain every single event. Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I skimmed your review because I haven't read book one but it's on my list. I'm sorry this sequel didn't live up to expectations, it's always so disappointing when that happens. Hopefully the next book you pick up exceeds them Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, unfortunately, from other friends' reactions I really DON'T think this is just you, Keertana. I was so bummed when this one somehow didn't make it to my Kindle, and was planning to buy it upon release, but now I think I'll just wait for the library copy, because it doesn't seem as if I need to own it. I'm so frustrated with Ananna already from your review alone. I hate that she doesn't grown and learn to define herself outside of the relationship she wants. That's so frustrating to me, I can't stand those people in real life, and I certainly can't cheer for them in a book! Ugh. Bummed that this is going to be disappointing, but glad to go in with lower expectations I suppose. At any rate, it's no longer a top priority.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I liked this one just a bit better because I tried very hard to focus on the creativity, the action and the worldbuilding and ignore Ananna's behavior as much as possible, but it wasn't always... Who WAS that girl? Surely not the heroine we all fell in love with! And to be honest, in the end, Naji's change of heart just didn't work for me, especially because they were both so obnoxious.
    Ah, well. We'll survive, I guess.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am worried that I'll not be very satisfied with this conclusion, especially as I didn't seem to love its predecessor quite to the degree that many other reviewers did. Ananna's changes in characterization sound quite frustrating, and I agree the trope that has magic play a large force in bringing together two people can definitely be a frustrating one. I am at a loss. I kind of don't want to read this, but at the same time the first book just ended and I like resolution. I guess I'll just have to see if I get in the mood to read this eventually or not. Lovely review, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't read the first book in this series but I expect a lot. Really it sounds like something magical and amazing. I'm so sad to see that this one disappointed you. I've seen mixed reviews and I guess that I have to read it. Great review Keertana :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read HALF of the first book and I really liked it pity the sequel is not that great.. I hate it when female characters ruin the book

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw darn! Too bad the second wasn't as rockin' as the first. Still might try that first book though. Perhaps now that I know that it was disappointing I may be able to handle it. I still would probably library book it though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't fully read this again until I sort through my thoughts (I read it when you put it on GR). Unfortunately, I agree in your assessment that this isn't as good as the first. Naji and Ananna drove me INSANE. They could not get over themselves, and I'm still not sure what the problem was? Insecurity + angst is a bad combination. I couldn't focus on anything else b/c of their continual idiocy. Naji was my biggest problem, however. I can't tell what was going on in his head? DId he have a change of heart, or finally get forced into admitting his feelings? IDK, but it's still a mystery to me. This book perplexed me. Also the third curse braking scene was a little too out there for me, even in a fantasy book. And the timing of it confused me? Did it all occur during the battle scene, b/c that was only a few months before their visit? (sorry, I'm being vague here). Anyway, another one bites the dust, and I'm having trouble expressing my thoughts on the story at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't fully read this again until I sort through my thoughts (I read it when you put it on GR). Unfortunately, I agree in your assessment that this isn't as good as the first. Naji and Ananna drove me INSANE. They could not get over themselves, and I'm still not sure what the problem was? Insecurity + angst is a bad combination. I couldn't focus on anything else b/c of their continual idiocy. Naji was my biggest problem, however. I can't tell what was going on in his head? DId he have a change of heart, or finally get forced into admitting his feelings? IDK, but it's still a mystery to me. This book perplexed me. Also the third curse braking scene was a little too out there for me, even in a fantasy book. And the timing of it confused me? Did it all occur during the battle scene, b/c that was only a few months before their visit? (sorry, I'm being vague here). Anyway, another one bites the dust, and I'm having trouble expressing my thoughts on the story at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry you found this disappointing, Keertana--there's nothing worse than a hohum book two for a series you enjoy! (Except a hohum book three.) I have to admit, I liked but didn't love the first book, so I didn't even request this one. Something about the story and characters and writing just didn't click for me in a big way from the very beginning, though I know many others have loved it. Oh, well. I hope that if you continue with the series, it ends on a better note for you.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.